CULINARY THRILL SEEKING — The beet goes on, and into your mocktail
Published 12:03 am Tuesday, July 21, 2020
The beet goes on . . .
If someone invited you for cocktails/mocktails and at the last moment mentioned they were beet-based, you might hightail from that cocktail.
Are you being punished?
I’d run from the rare serving of red stuff when I was a kid, but oh, look what they’ve done to beets now. Beetology comes in a very cool ridged glass and with mixes like beet + lemon + ginger you feel healthy just picking up the bottle. I added some to sparkling water for extra bang.
Makers have more ideas for that and Wonder Melon, which zings an old fave with splashes of lemon, cayenne and more fun.
Are you still running? Get these bottles in refrigerated sections of stores and sit down to enjoy the flavor and the benefits from KAYCO, because they’re into health.
Beet Juice bits from the makers:
- New evidence links antioxidant-rich beets to strengthened immunity, better skeletal muscle function and greater stamina.
- The International Olympic Committee has declared beet juice a sports food.
- Beet juice is being used by researchers for its potential benefits to people with diabetes, obesity, hypertension and the elderly.
Reasons to drink your watermelon
- The amino acids in watermelon may lower blood pressure and reduce risk of heart attack
- Watermelon is 92 percent water – a sweet way to keep every cell in your body hydraded.
- Watermelon has more of the antioxidant lycopene than any other fruit or veggie. Studies show that lycopene may be associated with reduced risk of cancer and diabetes.
Wonder Melon Immune-Boostine Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 half cup Greek yogurt
1 half cup Wonder Melon Lemon Cayenne
1 quarter cup orange juice
Honey to taste
Buzz all ingredients in a blender and enjoy.
1 and one half cup ice
3 ounces Beetology Beet + Tropical Fruit
2 ounces coconut Cream
2 ounces dark rum
2 ounces coconut rum
Blend all ingredients in a blender until frothy. Garnish with a pineapple slice.
Zoup is on
There’s a reason National Soup Month is in January. Have you been craving a steaming bowl of chicken noodle in steamy Southeast Texas temperatures?
If not, think again with a jar of inspiration: Zoup! Good, Really Good® Veggie Broth. It’s okay to think about corn and beet gazpachos instead of the hot and heavy soups.
Zoop! has you covered. I enjoyed this “savory” vegan flavor as much as bone broth and I accepted the label’s challenge: “Good Enough to Drink.”
I simply heated up some of this jar’s broth and poured it in a mug to enjoy… in an air-conditioned space. Broth is the basis of making everything you’re making with it better. Zoup! Is good to begin with.
Darragh Doiron is a Port Arthur area foodie socially distancing and still enjoying great company and flavors. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.