More information revealed in Sunday shootings

Published 9:48 pm Thursday, July 4, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Preliminary autopsy results in the shooting death of a Port Arthur man likely won’t be available until early next week.

Troyne Mitchell, 31, of Port Arthur was found in his vehicle with a gunshot wound Sunday and died shortly after arriving at The Medical Center of Southeast Texas,

Justice of the Peace Ben Collins Jr. pronounced the man deceased and ordered an autopsy.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Collins said Mitchell had suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Port Arthur Police Chief Tim Duriso said the cause of death is under investigation due to different accounts from witnesses. It is unknown if the shooting was accidental.

Mitchell was in his car in the 800 block of Procter Street at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday when discovered.

Shortly afterward there were approximately 11 officers outside the club for crowd and traffic control when they heard several shots from the business.

When they entered the club they reportedly found two male gunshot victims and an alleged suspect being held down by a security guard.

The man, identified as Herbert Mouton was taken into custody within seconds, according to the probable cause affidavit.

The handgun used in the shootings was recovered by security and given to the officers for evidence.

It is unknown how Mouton was able to enter the business with a weapon as the establishment has private security at the door.

Mouton has a prior conviction from February 19,2019 of assault/family/household member impede breathing/circulation in the 432nd Judicial District Court and received 60 days confinement in the Tarrant County Jail.

Neither gunshot victim wanted to press charges against Mouton. He was arrested on a charge of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon and has bonded out of the Jefferson County Correctional Facility as of Wednesday.

Prior to the shooting at approximately 1 a.m., Port Arthur police enlisted backup from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to clear a large crowd from the parking lot at the Bob Bowers Civic Center following a Memorial High School Class of 2014 reunion.

An ambulance was called for a female but when the EMS arrived they could not find the woman, Duriso said.

Police had anticipated there being after-parties following the reunion and had planned to go to another location when they received the call for Procter Street.

Duriso is asking for witnesses and those with cell phone or security camera images/video from the Procter Street incidents to call police at 409-983-8600.