Numerous Port Arthur and Mid County Christmas events planned for community
Published 12:28 am Friday, December 1, 2023
There’s a plethora of holiday activities to celebrate the season in the next two weeks.
The fun ranges from parades and giveaways to tree lighting and more.
- Christmas on the Avenue will be held from noon to 7 p.m. on Boston Avenue in Nederland.
The fun filled event includes Minute to Win it games, Jingles the Elf and Friends, and performances by Nederland High School Jazz Band, Fellowship Baptist and Whimsical Christmas dancers from Keely Jardell’s School of Dance, announcement of the art contest winners and a snow filled tree lighting at 6:30 p.m.
- Port Neches Christmas Parade is set for 2 p.m. Dec. 2 along Port Neches Avenue.
The parade begins at the Port Neches Post Office, travels down Port Neches Avenue, down Avenue C then left on Merriman.
- Groves Chamber of Commerce’s Lighted Christmas Parade is set for 6 p.m. Dec. 2. The parade begins at 39th Street at Cleveland Avenue and travel down 39th Street to Gulf Avenue.
- Port Neches Chamber of Commerce presents Light Up the Avenue Christmas Tree Lighting from 5 to 9 p.m. on Port Neches Avenue.
“Join us for a heartwarming, hometown celebration as we light up our Christmas tree and kick off the festive season with joy and cheer,” said Crystal Jordan, executive director of the chamber.
The tree is located next to the Chamber office, 1110 Port Neches Ave.
There will be holiday carols and music, festive photo both, food trucks, face painting, cupcake walk, picture with Santa and shopping on the Avenue.
- Sounds of the Season free Christmas concert features Maestro Chelsea Tipton II with the Symphony of Southeast Texas and special guest Glenn Alexander II, conductor and pianist.
The event begins with light refreshments at 6 p.m. and the concert begins at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 at Woodrow Wilson Early College High School, 1500 Lakeshore Drive.
- Nederland Lighted Christmas Parade is set for 6:30 p.m. Dec. 5. The parade starts at 21st Street turns on to Nederland Avenue, turns left at 12th Street, left at Boston Avenue and ends in front of Central Middle School.
- The City of Port Arthur will hold Holiday Downtown, which includes a parade, entertainment and tree lighting.
At 11:30 a.m. there will be brunch with Santa at The Press Building followed by the parade at 1:30 p.m.
Parade line-up will be at the Carl Parker Center on the Lamar State College Port Arthur campus, and then proceed down Procter Street to Houston Avenue.
There will be a performance by Young Audiences of Houston at the Pavilion following the parade and at 3 p.m. there will be a live performance by the Flava Band
A tree lighting ceremony begins at 6 p.m. in downtown Port Arthur.
- Jingle All the Way Family Fun Day will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Museum of the Gulf Coast, 700 Procter Street.
The fun includes free entry to the Museum for the whole family during the event. There will be fun craft and games for kids, a model train and lots of animals.
Live Snake Education Experience will be on hand with snakes and patrons can also visit with Therapy Dogs and learn how they help people and see the Stable Spirit horses outside.
Snacks and ice cream treats can be bought from Laura & Abe’s Ice Cream Truck and there will be free photos with Santa.
- Port Arthur Yacht Club presents a Lighted Boat Parade at 6 p.m. Dec. 9 at 410 Pleasure Pier Blvd. on Pleasure Island. Santa will make a special appearance.
The Port of Port Arthur will host the CPKC Holiday Train. It will arrive at the Seafarer’s Center, 401 Houston Avenue at 4 p.m. Dec. 13.
“The Port invites all our citizens, Port Arthur City employees, and families to attend. Last year, over 2,000 people toured the train to see Santa; we are blessed to have the train visit Port Arthur again. Improvements since last year should enhance the overall experience,” Larry Kelley, Port Director/CEO, Port of Port Arthur, said.
This is a “great opportunity for family with young kids or anyone as a kid at heart… There will be some youth activities and the Port Arthur Convention and Visitors Bureau, along with the Sertoma Club, is providing hot chocolate.”
- The 10th Annual Christmas with Dr. Levy Annual Toy Giveaway Drive will be held at 10 a.m. Dec. 16 at the Port Arthur Pavilion, 500 Procter St. Children must be present. For more information, go to www.drlevy.info or @drlevy on Facebook.
- A Very Marshy Christmas. Santa and Mrs. Claus will ride into Sea Rim State Park on an airboat from 2 to 4 p.m. Dec. 16. Join them for hot cocoa, Christmas crafts and photo opportunities. Sea Rim State Park is located at 19335 S. Gulfway Drive, Sabine Pass.