Early voting in primary runoff begins Monday
Early voting in the Democratic and Republican Primary runoff election begins Monday and runs through July 10 for the July 14 Primary runoff.
Voters in Mid- and South Jefferson County on both sides of the party line will see a relatively short ballot with Democrats seeing one race and Republicans seeing one.
On the local Democratic ballot Chrysta Castañeda and Beto Alonzo will face off in the Democratic state railroad commissioner race for the right to take on Republican Jim Wright in November.
During the Primary Election, Castañeda came in with 33.86 percent of the votes and Alonzo with 28.68 percent. Two other candidates, Kelly Stone and Mark Watson held lesser amounts.
On the local Republican ballot Scott Golemon will face Jay Wright in the 9th Court of Appeals Chief Justice race.
Golemon came in with 25.1 percent and Wright with 25.09 percent during the March Primary.
Other candidates Chuck Meyer, Colleen Cordts Rice and Jarrod Lee Walker held lesser amounts.
There is no Democratic candidate in the challenger for November.
Early voting locations — Voters can cast a ballot at any of the listed locations
- Port Arthur Library, 4615 Ninth Ave., Port Arthur
- Marion & Ed Hughes Public Library, 2712 Nederland Ave., Nederland
- Beaumont Courthouse-main location, 1085 Pearl St., Beaumont
- Rogers Park Recreation Center, 6540 Gladys, Beaumont
- Theodore Johns Library, 4255 Fannett Road, Beaumont
Early voting dates and times
- Monday/June 29 to Thursday/July 2 — 8 a. m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday,/July 3 to Saturday/July 4 are holidays, no voting
- Sunday/July 5 — Noon to 5 p.m.
- Monday/July 6 to Friday/July 10 — 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a proclamation March 20 postponing the runoff primary election until July 14 in conjunction with the state’s ongoing efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, according to a press release from the Governor’s office.
Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick followed in the footsteps of Harris County’s Lina Hidalgo in imposing a mandatory mask order,... read more