Gas rates in Port Arthur to increase
Published 12:23 am Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Gas rates within Port Arthur and a combined service area covering the central and Gulf Coast regions of Texas will increase starting Friday (June 5).
The Port Arthur City Council approved a settlement of proposed rate increases by the Texas Gas Service Co., which recommended the increases during a recent hearing before the Railroad Commission of Texas. The request was finalized at $10.3 million per year, lower than an initial requested amount of $17 million in a December 2019 statement of intent.
TGS requested to consolidate the Central Texas, Gulf Coast and Beaumont service areas into a single Central-Gulf Service Area. Port Arthur has exclusive original jurisdiction over the rates, operations and services of a gas utility.
The following rates will go into effect Friday:
- Residential: $16 customer charge per month and $0.32626 commodity charge per unit;
- Commercial: $53.33 customer charge per month and $0.12679 commodity charge per unit;
- Commercial transportation: $265.33 customer charge per month and $0.12679 commodity charge per unit;
- Public authority: $81.70 customer charge per month and $0.12549 commodity charge per unit; and
- Industrial transportation: $520.96 customer charge per month and $0.12707 commodity charge per unit.