Two Groves council spots contested in November 5 election
Published 12:24 am Saturday, October 26, 2019
GROVES — Voters in Groves are set to elect two councilmembers in the Nov. 5 election.
Two seats are up for grabs. The Ward 1 race pits Chris Borne, who was appointed to the spot to replace former Councilman Cross Coburn, who was ousted in a recall election, against Cindy Kreutzer. In the Ward 3 race, incumbent Sidney Badon is being challenged by Barbara Edington.
Here’s a quick look at the candidates:
Ward 1 race
- Chris Borne, 40, is an electrician.
He said he is running for city council because he wanted to be involved and make the city the best it can be.
- Cindy Kreutzer, 59, is retired.
She said she is running for city council because she believes it’s time for a change.
“I feel like what we have right now is stuck in the ‘If it’s not broke, don’t fix it’ attitude,” Kreutzer said. “Unfortunately, that’s not helpful for small towns like Groves.”
Ward 2 race
- Sidney Badon Jr., 63, is a bricklayer.
He said he is running for reelection because the projects he had been involved with are coming to fruition.
“The street project we fought to get more money into is now in the works and we are working on getting a new fire station,” Badon said. “And most important, I love Groves and want to keep seeing it grow.”
- Barbara Edington, 55, is a director of client services.
“I have some concerns about the way the city is run and had concerns with how our money is being spent,” Edington said. “Instead of just complaining about it, I decided to run.”
As of Thursday, a total of 1,135 people cast early ballots across 11 voting locations in Jefferson County. And of those locations the Groves Recreation Center voting site saw the most ballots cast — 265 over the four-day period.
Early voting continues from 7 a. m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 28 to Nov. 1.
Election day is Nov. 5.
Local voting locations include:
- Port Arthur Public Library, 4615 Ninth Ave., Port Arthur
- Port Arthur Sub-Courthouse, 525 Lakeshore Drive, Port Arthur
- Marion & Ed Hughes Public Library, 2715 Nederland Ave., Nederland
- Groves Recreation Center, 6150 39th St., Groves
- Effie & Wilton Hebert Library, 2025 Merriman St., Port Neches
- There are also five Beaumont locations and one China, Texas, voting location.
Voting in one’s own precinct is not necessary during early voting.