Looking for your pumpkin pie spice fix? Check out these great local options
Published 12:16 am Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Fall is finally here.
It’s the season for changing colors, leaves, pumpkins, cold weather and football. Everywhere people are busting out their crockpots to make homemade chili, gathering ingredients for Thanksgiving casseroles and roasting abundant cups of coffee.
Fall often brings about some of the best flavors and baking recipes — and one flavor that stands the test of time, whether you love or hate it, is pumpkin spice.
Pumpkin spice is an American spice mix commonly used in pumpkin pie, but has expanded to be added in coffee, frappes, muffins, donuts and more. Pumpkin spice is a general blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, gloves and sometimes allspice.
So, whether you are looking for your everyday addiction or are interested in trying something new, check out of some great places to get your pumpkin pie spice breakfast combo fix:
1. Groves Café and Coffee Bar, located at 6039 39th St. in Groves, serves a deliciously creamy, sugar filled Pumpkin Spice Pie Frappuccino. The specialty concoction is blended with a base frappe mix, milk (which can be substituted for almond, coconut or soy milk), espresso (regular or decaf), pumpkin pie syrup and cinnamon.
It’s topped with whip cream, a pumpkin pie drizzle, dash of cinnamon and a candy corn pumpkin. It can be made over ice or hot. This frappe is sweet and pumped full of sugar to give anyone with a sweet tooth a morning wake up. Frappe averages $5, substitutions not included in price.
2. Covefefe Café, located at 3120 Saba Lane in Port Neches, serves a Pumpkin Pie Latte.
The latte includes a European base specialty coffee, (medium dark roast) pumpkin pie syrup, heavy whipping cream and milk (which can be substituted for almond, coconut or soy). It’s topped with whip cream. Can be made as a frappe or over ice.
The coffee is the shining star in this recipe, the roast lends a delightful hint of smooth pumpkin that doesn’t overwhelm your taste buds, making this drink a perfect recipe for non-coffee drinkers, and those who want just a sip of perfection. Latte $3.75 medium; all substitutions included in the price.
3. Avenue Coffee and Café, located at 1226 Port Neches Ave. in Port Neches, serves an array of pumpkin spice flavored drinks, including hot coffee, lattes and frappes. The main ingredient in both drinks is a house-made pumpkin spice mix made out of real pumpkin. Other ingredients include milk (substitute whole, almond, oat or coconut milk), espresso or cold brew. Can be customized in any way.
The specialty made pumpkin ingredient makes these drinks standout among the rest, giving it a unique flavor and thickness. Served alongside a chai donut with brown sugar and chai spice, that makes it a dynamic breakfast duo. Small latte $4.40; small frappe with coffee $5.60; and chai donut $1.50.
4. Rao’s Bakery, located at 3504 FM-365 West in Nederland, serves a Pumpkin Spice Latte and muffin combo made fresh every morning. The latte consists of pumpkin spice, milk (substitute almond milk, coconut or soy), shot of espresso with cinnamon and a whipped cream caramel drizzle. The muffin is a pumpkin cream cheese mixture, secrets of the chef. Can be served hot, over ice or frozen.
Rao’s provides a sweet and smooth latte with the perfect hint of pumpkin and a muffin that is moist and melts in your mouth. Latte’s average $5, substitutions extra. Muffin is $2.45; can be served warm or cold.
5. Starbucks, located at 3610 FM 365 in Nederland, serves the infamous Pumpkin Spice Frappe and Latte loaded with milk, a special Frappuccino roast, pumpkin spice sauce and topped with pumpkin spice dust and whipped cream.
Starbucks has been serving its drinks for years, perfecting a combination of pumpkin and coffee. Can be served over ice or hot. Pair with a slice of pumpkin bread to get your morning going. Grande frappe averages $4.95; substitutions not included in price.
So whether you are heading into a 12-hour shift, need an extra boost to wake up in the morning or just really love pumpkin pie spice, check out any of these locations to give your taste buds a pumpkin pie spice burst.