Nederland residents asked to sort debris by city officials
Published 12:06 am Friday, September 27, 2019
The city of Nederland announced it is still gathering necessary information to determine the scale of a possible Tropical Storm Imelda debris removal
operation, adding it is necessary for homeowners to have materials separated.
The debris should be placed in separate piles as follows:
- Green Waste (limbs, tree branches, logs, leaves, and vegetation);
- Spoiled Food and Household Garbage;
- Construction Debris (drywall, lumber, carpet and furniture);
- Electronics (televisions, computers, printers, etc.);
- Household Hazardous Materials
Officials strongly encourage homeowners not to place the debris in black bags.
The city recognizes the inconvenience and additional work this separation of debris
requires, but FEMA guidelines require separation of piles. At this time, the City
has not been advised by the federal government whether FEMA reimbursement
will be available for debris operations.
Homeowners should take photos of all their damage for their insurance or NFIP.
Those with any questions about debris separation or placement, are asked call the City Manager’s Office at (409) 723-1503.