Heavy rain leads to flooding across the area

Published 4:49 pm Saturday, January 27, 2018

Heavy rainfall led to street flooding including flooded out vehicles and some homes with water on Saturday.

Early rainfall totals from the National Weather Service-Lake Charles showed close to seven inches of rain from- with some areas seeing 10 inches, late Friday night into Saturday.

Port Arthur Mayor Derrick Freeman herd that some areas received up to 10 inches of rain in that same time span. He sent an alert through social media that the pumps at Jefferson County Drainage District 7 were working and that there was some debris in drainage outlets. City crews had ben out since 5 a.m. clearing the debris.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“DD7 (Drainage District 7) detention ponds are full and there’s no place for it (water) to do,” Freeman said via phone late Saturday morning. “We ask the citizens to be patient. We’re working on it. This is nothing like Harvey.”

Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick, who was out of town when the rainfall occurred, said it is his understanding that 10 inches of ran fell primarily over Groves and into Nederland and the Texas 73 drainage canals were outside of their banks.

Branick was in communication with DD7 general manager Phil Kelley who reported that all of the pumps were running for 24 hours including the Alligator bayou and Crane Bayou pumps.

Port Arthur News received several posts on its Facebook page reporting flooding in the Port Acres area and Facebook posts on personal pages showed photos of water up to homes in Groves and stranded cars partly under water on 39th Street and Taft Avenue as well as at Ninth Avenue and Jimmy Johnson Boulevard in Port Arthur and in the Lake Arthur Addition of Port Arthur.

Groves City Manager D. Sosa wasn’t aware at that time of any homes being flooded but said sadly, he wouldn’t be surprised because so much rain fell in a short period of time.

Chris Duque, Nederland city manager, said he had heard of flooded yards and garages and was waiting to hear confirmation if there were home with water.

Nearly five months have passed since Tropical Storm Harvey dumped more than 60 inches of rain over the area where some residents are still working to repair their homes, or even return to their homes.