Today is the last day to file for May 6 election
Today is the last day to file as a candidate for city and school board for May 6 General Election.
As of Thursday, those who have filed to run for the Port Arthur City Council are as follows:
Cal Jones filed Wednesday to run against Tiffany Hamilton, incumbent District 2 councilwoman. Jones is a former city councilman.
In other races, Raymond Scott Jr., Precinct 1 incumbent councilman, will face challenger Janice Milo who ran for mayor in 2016.
Mark Blanton, former police chief, is running unopposed in District 3.
Keith Richard, incumbent District 4 councilman, will face challenger Harold Doucet, a former city councilman and mayoral candidate.
Incumbent Charlotte Moses, At-Large Position 7 councilwoman, will face challenger Morris Albright III, former District 3 councilman.
Kaprina Richardson Frank, incumbent councilwoman for At-Large Position 8, will face challenger Kevin Christopher.
Filing for a spot in the May 6 city and school board elections ballots started Jan. 18 and ends Feb. 17.
Early voting is from April 24 to May 2. Runoff Election Day is July 1 if applicable.
In other races, the Port Arthur Independent School District, has two at-large seats open for 2017 election cycle.
Incumbent Kenneth Lofton, Sr. has filed for re-election on Feb. 9. Lofton has served on the board for 9 years. Lofton works as a process operator for Motiva Enterprises LLC.
Dianne Z. Brown has filed for election on Feb. 13. Brown has served on the board before. She is retired.
In Nederland Independent School District, there are two at-large seats open for 2017 election cycle.
Incumbents Marty Byrd and Kay DeCuir have both filed for re-election. Byrd filed on Jan. 20 and DeCuir filed on Jan. 23. Both individuals have served on the board since 2011.
Jerry Albanese has filed for election on the board on Feb. 14. Albanese is the owner of Meineke Car Care on Nederland Avenue.
In Nederland City Council, there are two seats open for 2017 election — Ward 1 and Ward 3.
Incumbents Don Albanese of Ward 3 and Talmadge Austin of Ward 1 have filed for re-election on Jan. 19 and Jan. 23 respectively.
The deadline for filing to run in the 2017 elections is Feb. 17 at 5 p.m.
Some other important election dates are:
- Official drawing for the order of names on the ballot is at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 23.
- Last day to withdraw a name from the ballot is at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24.
- The deadline for filing the first campaign finance report is Thursday, April 6.
- The last day to register to vote in the May 6 General Election is Thursday, April 6.
- The last day to receive an application for ballot by mail in person is Thursday, April 20.
- The first day of early voting by personal appearance is Monday, April 24.
- The last day to receive application for a ballot by mail (not by postmark) is Tuesday, April 25.
- Late hours voting (early voting) at city hall only is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. is Thursday, April 27.
- The deadline for filing the second finance report is 5 p.m. on Friday, April 28.
- Late hours voting (early voting) at city hall only is from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, May 1.
- Last day of early voting by personal appearance is Tuesday, May 2.
- Last day to receive voted ballot by mail is Saturday, May 6.
- Election Day is Saturday, May 6.
- Official canvassing- special meeting is at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, May 17.
- Runoff Election Day (if applicable) is Saturday, July 1.
In a Facebook post on Thursday afternoon, Port Arthur Mayor Derrick Freeman wrote the last thing the city wants is... read more