Jury gives Beaumont man 35 years for 2012 murder

Published 8:31 am Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Jaylan Williams, 34, last known address 1395 Bolivar, Beaumont, was sentenced Monday to 35 years in the prison in connection with a 2012 murder on Washington Boulevard in Beaumont, announced Jefferson County District Attorney Cory Crenshaw. The sentence resulted from a jury trial presided over by Judge John Stevens in the Criminal District Court.

On March 30, 2012, a 27 year old Orange County woman was seen staggering out from behind a convenience store at the intersection of Park Street and Washington Boulevard, bleeding from what were later found to be stab wounds to her upper body and head. Police video recorded the victim’s last breaths as officer Joshua Jackson tried to stop the bleeding, asking her to tell him who had stabbed her. She died before she could answer.

Williams was caught on another officer’s video returning to the crime scene, but he fled as soon as he was asked who he was and eluded police. He returned the following day and was pointed out by a witness as officers were going over the crime scene in daylight. He was detained and taken in for questioning, and his alibi did not match the known sequence of events.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

A pair of plaid shorts was recovered from Williams’ car, and investigation led to DNA evidence that both Williams’ and the victim’s blood was found on the shorts (as well as on a towel and a pillow case). This became more significant when a video from a public intoxication stop done earlier in the morning of the murder showed Williams wearing the same plaid shorts. Also, a person who had been with Williams the evening of the murder said that Williams had shown up at the scene later and was freshly showered and dressed in different clothing.

The trial testimony concluded Friday, and deliberations continued until Friday at about 7:30 p.m., when the jury retired for the weekend. They began work again at 8 a.m. Monday, handing up their guilty verdict just before noon. Punishment evidence began this afternoon, and the final verdict was handed up at 4:30 p.m.

Prosecutor Clint Woods said, “This was a vicious murder, but it wasn’t by any means cold blooded. This was about a dangerous lifestyle and the fact that Williams wanted to control ‘his’ woman. It was a classic ‘If I can’t have you no one will’ situation, and it spun completely out of control”.

Williams also has previous felony convictions for drug offenses (three) and felony evading detention (motor vehicle). Due to the use of a deadly weapon, he must serve half of his sentence before he can be considered for parole.