, Port Arthur, Texas

November 15, 2013

Titans stun Mavericks with 35-point third quarter

Steven Cohan
The Port Arthur News


Port Arthur Head Coach Kenny Harrison could see that his young team was a little excited and needed to calm down if they were to reach their goal of a state championship.

The Titans blew open a close game with touchdowns on four consecutive touches in the third quarter and advanced to the second round with a 49-0 victory over Pasadena Memorial Friday night at Stallworth Stadium.

“They were a little excited in the first half,” said Harrison, whose 8-3 Titans will play the winner of Fort Bend Elkins-Dickinson next Saturday at 1 pm in Pasadena.  “We have a young team, many of whom had never been in the playoffs before.  We just needed to play our game.  Once we settled down, everything took care of itself”

The Titans “game” was too much for the overmatched Mavericks, who finished the season 4-7.

With a 14-0 lead, the Corey Dauphine returned the second half kickoff 29 yards to the Titans 47 and Kameron Martin took over from there, carrying three times for 53 yards, the final carry for 6 yards and a touchdown that increased the Titans lead to 21-0.

Memorial forced a punt and on the first play, Martin exploded through the Mavericks defense for a 58 yard touchdown run to make it 28-0.  Martin finished with 158 yards on 14 carries.

CJ Levine intercepted a Ty Lozano pass and returned it seven yards to the Pasadena 25.  On the first play, Taylor Labrie found Roderick Rucker behind Pasadena’s Cory Alba for a touchdown for a 35-0 lead.

Levine added an 81 yard punt return the next time the Titans had their hands on the ball for a 42-0 lead.

Port Arthur closed out a 35-point third quarter with an 8 yard touchdown pass from Labrie to Rucker that capped a 79 yard, 12-play drive for the final margin.

“They came out and executed the game plan with precision,” Harrison said.  “We have a lot of weapons on offense and they made some big plays for us.”

Not to be ignored was the stellar effort of the Titans’ defense that recorded their second shutout of the season, both coming in Baytown’s Stallworth Stadium.

“We like playing here,” Harrison grinned.  “Maybe we should change our plans and come back and play at Stallworth Stadium next week.  Just call this Port Arthur West.”

Harrison said that the Titans rode the momentum of last Friday’s big win over LaPorte into the playoffs.

“We just have to keep getting better each week.  We just have to continue plugging away.  We told them that this is a new season and you can’t look at anybody’s record.  You have to play your game and not make mistakes because mistakes in the playoffs can end your season quickly.”

 The Titans wasted little time jumping on the Mavericks.  Martin ran for 15 yards and Labrie had a 12-yard run to put the Titans in Maverick territory.  Labrie connected with Albert Jacobs for 31 yards to the four and Dauphine scored on the next play for his first of two first half scores to give Port Arthur a 7-0 lead.

Pasadena Memorial then marched into Titan territory and the Brandon Lumpkin nailed quarterback  Lozano for a five yard loss on third and seven from the 12.  The Mavericks attempted a fourth down conversion from field goal formation but the pass was incomplete.

The Titans turned the ball over on a fumble but the defense held Pasadena Memorial without a first down and they punted back to the Titans.

Labrie directed a 14 play, 74 yard drive, completing a 23-yard pass to Jacobs to the Maverick 12.  Three plays later, Dauphine found the end zone on a 7-yard run that increased Port Arthur’s lead to 14-0.