PAnews.com, Port Arthur, Texas

January 2, 2014

Parkdale Mall contract worker burned


The Port Arthur News

BEAUMONT — A contract worker using a backpack style vacuum cleaner at Parkdale Mall in Beaumont suffered second and third degree burns to her back after a cord shorted out and caught her clothes on fire on Thursday.

The incident occurred shortly after 11:30 a.m. Jan. 2 at Parkdale Mall in the Macy’s store, according to a press release from Beaumont Police Department.

The female worker, age 39, was treated on scene by Beaumont EMS while Beaumont Fire Rescue set up a landing zone in the parking lot. Air Rescue responded and transported the victim by air to the burn unit in Galveston.