Central Gardens home destroyed in fire, authorities say

Published 12:04 am Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

CENTRAL GARDENS — A Central Gardens home is a total loss following a Saturday morning fire, authorities said.

The Jefferson County Water District No. 10 Volunteer Fire Department was alerted by the owner of a home in the 3100 block of Monroe Street regarding a fire at approximately 8:34 a.m.

Safety Officer Terry Nepveux said authorities responded with seven firefighters and called for mutual aid from Nederland and Groves fire departments, adding each sent two firefighters.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The volunteer fire department was on scene in six minutes.

The scene was cleared in three hours.

Nepveux said the fire began in a bedroom, then moved to the attic and quickly spread from there.

The cause of the blaze is believed to be electrical in nature.

There were no injuries reported.

Acadian Ambulance was on standby but wasn’t needed, Nepveux said.

As a volunteer fire department, the firefighters respond from their homes to the department to get a truck or engine and go from there.

Nepveux said the house is a total loss.