Local man handed down 40-month federal prison sentence for illegal gun possession

Published 5:26 pm Tuesday, January 9, 2024

BEAUMONT — A local man arrested more than a year-and-a-half ago with a rifle and ammunition was sentenced to federal prison, with authorities noting the whole thing started due to a bad turn.

The case began, according to the Port Arthur Police Department, on May 23, 2022, when the city’s Guns and Narcotics Unit conducted a traffic stop in the 200 block of Gulfway Drive because a motorist failed to signal a lawful intent to turn.

Police said the driver and owner of the vehicle gave officers consent to search.

The Port Arthur Police Department released this photo in May 2022 of what Guns and Narcotics Unit personnel said was seized weapons during a traffic stop that included Jordan Malik Bronnon of Port Arthur. (Courtesy photo)

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Four handguns “with an extraordinary amount of ammunition,” were seized during the search, police said.

Three of the firearms were found in the back passenger area, and police said all three back passengers were prohibited by law from possessing firearms and subsequently arrested.

One of those arrested was Jordan Malik Bronnon, charged with felon in possession of a firearm.

At the time, Port Arthur Police investigators said their case was being submitted to the ATF for review.

Fast forward to this month, and U.S. Attorney Damien M. Diggs announced Bronnon pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm and was sentenced to 40 months in federal prison.

U.S. District Judge Marcia A. Crone handed down the sentence on Monday.

According to information presented in court, the search of the vehicle turned up a backpack that contained various pieces of paperwork with Bronnon’s name and a rifle magazine containing ammunition.

A rifle was also located on the rear passenger floorboard.

Bronnon is a convicted felon and prohibited by federal law from owning or possessing firearms or ammunition.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Russell James prosecuted the case.

Port Arthur Newsmedia reached to authorities about the status of the other two suspects arrested in May 2022 and is awaiting response.