Flames threaten Port Arthur gas meter with house fire

Published 12:12 am Saturday, December 9, 2023

A Port Arthur home that went up in flames Thursday suffered significant damage, though no injuries were reported.

The fire was reported at 2:17 p.m. Thursday for a home in the 3900 block of 6th Street.

Arriving fire crews saw a lot of smoke, and when they walked to the back of the building, they saw flames near the gas meter that extended into the structure, Port Arthur Fire Chief Greg Benson said.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

They were able to confirm no one was inside the house and began what is called an interior offense attack of the fire.

A request for both utility companies was made and fire crews were able to shut the gas off at the meter, Benson said.

The house suffered significant damage and due to the fire’s characteristics, crews cut a hole in the roof to allow flames and smoke to exit rather than continue to spread in the structure.

No injuries were reported.