See which roads made the cut in Groves road improvement, replacement schedule
Published 12:17 am Friday, March 6, 2020
GROVES — The City of Groves will begin two street improvement projects within the next several months.
City Council members approved an Interlocal Agreement this week between the city and Jefferson County Precinct 2 for assistance with the repair of roadways.
City Manager D.E. Sosa said this first approval is congruent with the city’s street program.
“This part of the contract is where we, as the city, will take care of the streets, and the county helps us,” he said. “(The county) comes in and lays down the rock for us after we do the prep work.”
The 2020 Rebuilding Program will impact more than four miles of road starting with the worst at Monroe Street. Work can be expected to begin as soon as next week, weather permitting, with a completion date by the end of summer.
“We are waiting on a dry spell,” Sosa said. “Right now, we have the equipment and are ready to go. All we are waiting on is the weather.”
In addition to the city’s street program, the council also approved an engineering agreement with Action Civil Engineers for street improvements to be made via the Texas General Land Office grant contracted during Hurricane Harvey.
The GLO program includes mending $3.4 million in repairs to 26,912 feet of roads impacted during the storm.
“Most of these streets are in poor shape. Anything under water for 2 1/2 days poses an issue,” Sosa said. “All of those streets will be rebuilt from the ground up, but for the city’s street program some will be resurfaced and others rebuilt.”
Improvements to GLO financed streets are expected to begin by mid- to late- summer lasting until the beginning of 2021.
Sosa said he is asking the citizens of Groves for patience as work begins.
“We are going to see a lot of improvements on our roads,” he said. “There will be a lot of construction. There will be some temporary road closures, but we will be using our city webpage to show when those will happen and for how long. We will stay on top of that having someone manning that all summer long.”
To stay up to date on all closures, visit cigrovestx.com.
BREAKDOWN OF STREET REPAIRS IN GROVES
Rebuild streets total
- Howe St. from Texas 73 to Cleveland Ave.
- Willow St. from Ash to Taft Ave.
- Harrison Ave. from Wilson to Beaumont
- Jefferson from Main Ave. to Gulf Ave.
- Lincoln Ave. from Terrell St. to Short St.
- Woodlawn Ave. from 32nd St. to Texas 347.
- Bay St. from Allison Ave. to Texas 347.
Seal coats streets Total: 9,530 feet
- Monroe Blvd. from Texas 347 to Main Ave.
- 32nd Ave. from Texas 73 to Cleveland Ave.
- Lincoln Ave. from Jefferson to Coolidge St.
- Port Neches Rd. from Hogaboom to Main Ave.
GLO streets to be rebuilt
- Montrose and Royal North to 25th St.
- Ruby and Pearl from North to 25th St.
- East and South Dr. to Mire, Willis and Cooley
- Smith, Martin, Dave to Main Ave.
- Perry, Ray, Owens to Dryden Rd.
- Orange Acres