PAPD: Community tips lead to 2 homicide arrests

Published 7:49 pm Thursday, January 23, 2020

Two Port Arthur men are charged with Wednesday’s killing of Jose Riojas.

Larnell Jray Mosley, 32, and Jeremy Jamall Roy, 30, were led out of the Port Arthur Police Department Thursday night approximately 24 hours after the shooting death of Riojas, 35.

Larnell Mosley

“Throughout the day, Port Arthur investigators have been scouring the city interviewing witnesses and received several very good tips, which led to the arrest of these individuals,” PAPD Det. Mike Hebert during a press conference at the police station after the arrests.

Jeremy Roy

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Mosley and Roy were apprehended within the city limits, but Hebert did not give the location.

Police declined to say if the suspects have a criminal history. Neither did police divulge a possible motive as investigators were still following leads, Hebert added.

“We are very confident these two individuals are the ones who shot and killed the victim,” he said.

Police said the shooting was not a random act of violence and the two men went to the home and encountered the victim.

According to a GoFundMe account that was set up on Thursday, the victim is married and has children.

Hebert said there were people at the home when the shooting took place but did not say who or how many people. He also said the shooting happened on Roijas’ property but not if it occurred inside the home or outside.

“This investigation is still ongoing and we do not want to jeopardize the investigation,” Deputy Chief John Owens said.

Owens called the arrests a team effort and said the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office assisted.

Hebert wanted to let the residents of the Griffing Park — the area where the fatal shooting occurred — know that police are very confident the two men arrested are the suspects.

Police were notified of a shooting at approximately 5:32 p.m. Wednesday in the 4500 block of Sunken Court. When they arrived they found the victim, Roijas, had been shot multiple times. He was brought to the Medical Center of Southeast Texas where he was pronounced dead.