Diocese puts 2 priests on abusers list
Published 8:00 am Thursday, April 25, 2019
Two deceased priests who worked in the Diocese of Beaumont have been added to the previous list of those credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors, Most Rev. Curtis Guillory, SVD, bishop of Beaumont, said Wednesday.
They are Raymond Woodka, SSJ, of the Josephites order, and Rocco Perone, Perone, CSP, a Paulist priest.
Woodka was assigned to Sacred Heart in Port Arthur in the 1970s and at Our Mother of Mercy, where he was pastor from 1978 to 1987.
Perone was not assigned to the Beaumont diocese, but did visit periodically to work weekends at local parishes.
The bishop said the diocese was not informed about allegations against either man until after the Jan. 31 disclosure that 13 priests here had been credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors since Pope Paul VI established the Diocese of Beaumont in 1966.
The two additional names have been added to that list on the diocese’s website. The names appear as an addendum to the Jan. 31 list of clergy with credible allegations. They can be found on the same link (Letter to the Faithful and Names of Clergy…) as a second page of the original list.
The bishop again apologized to all victims and their families.
He asked Southeast Texas Catholics to join him in praying for the continued purification of the church and all who have been wounded by the actions of her clergy.