• 66°

Stipulations set for PN riverfront

PORT NECHES — Stipulations for development of a 37-acre tract along the Neches River brings Port Neches one step closer to a new residential subdivision.

Councilmembers last week approved a set of stipulations for the property, known as Tract II along Lee Street not far from Port Neches Riverfront Park.

Stipulations incudes that the property remains residential single-family zoning and it be used for residential development.

The minimum bid for the property is $1.5 million.

Port Neches City Manager Andre Wimer said there is a minimum lot size stipulation, as well, in which 75 % of the lots must be a minimum of 8,000 square feet and the remaining 25% have a minimum lot size of 6,500 square feet.

“There have been several individuals who have made contact with the city expressing potential interest in the site,” Wimer said.

A previous developer felt the entire location could not support 50 acres of commercial development so the land will be split with 13 acres going to commercial and rendering the 37 acres to be utilized for single-family dwellings, he said in a previous news story.

Two developers had looked at the property and had a formal agreement where the city would not sell while they worked on a plan to place mixed-use retail to the riverfront, including a restaurant and mixed local and some regional businesses. They bowed out of the agreement after several extensions of time back in mid-August 2018.