SOCCER: Bulldogs’ Sheppard named 21-5A MVP
Nederland senior Meg Sheppard finished her high school soccer career as a two-time district most valuable player.
Sheppard was awarded District 21-5A’s top honor, a year after winning the 22-5A MVP honor. Her 37 goals and five hat tricks helped the Bulldogs reach the 5A Region III tournament for the second time in three years.
Sheppard finished her career with 149 goals, including 46 as a junior.
She was one of four Bulldogs to win superlative awards in 21-5A. Classmate Phoebe Short earned utility player-of-the-year honors, sophomore Karrie-Faith Anders was named Newcomer of the Year, and Aaron Tomplait was hailed coach of the year.
Port Neches-Groves, which also made the region tournament, won three superlatives: senior Ariel Muller as offensive player of the year, junior Halley Smith as defensive co-player of the year, and junior Kaylee Hooper as the goalkeeper of the year. Vidor senior Kelsey Droptini shared the defensive award with Smith.
The first-team All-District 21-5A list includes:
- Barbers Hill: junior Paige Sanders and sophomore Demi McGraw
- Cleveland: senior Briana Rivas
- Dayton: junior Maxilu Cisneros and sophomore Elvira Deleon
- Memorial: seniors Blanca Orozco and Yudith Banda; and junior Guadalupe Contreras
- Nederland: seniors Hailey Dugas, Abby Gray, Skylar Thomassie, Destin Miguez, Short and Sheppard; and sophomores Jordan Minaldi and Anders
- PNG: seniors Izzy Volk and Muller; juniors Kaylee Landry, Breeana Riggs, Smith and Hooper; and sophomore Grace Richards
- Vidor: seniors Mallory Chilton, Gracyn Gilbreath and Droptini; junior Kaitlyn Gann and sophomore Brooklyn Healy.
The second team includes: From Barbers Hill, junior Karla Buenrostro Chavez, sophomore Allison Gatlin and freshman Emily Green; Cleveland junior Addie Wood; from Dayton, junior Belinda Torres and freshman Gisel Loya; from Memorial, seniors Jatsari Morales and Elissa Bonilla and junior Jiovana Valencia; from Nederland, seniors Haley Plumley and Lauryn Hughes, junior Jenna Brekel and freshman Hanna Foster; from PNG, sophomore Kelsie Comeaux and freshman Hannah LeBlanc; and Vidor sophomores Maryn Chilton and Audrey Tilley.