Groves to fill seat vacated by ousted councilmember Coburn
GROVES — Councilmembers in Groves are scheduled to fill a vacancy for the Ward 1 councilmember position at the 5:30 p.m. meeting Thursday at City Hall.
The seat was left vacant with the recall of former councilman Cross Coburn on Nov. 6.
PREVIOUS REPORTING: Coburn ousted in Groves recall vote
Groves City Manager D. Sosa said the city has received letters from two citizens interested in being considered for the position. The city has not solicited for the position and interested persons can submit a letter to Sosa and he in turn will scan it and provide it to the council for consideration.
The candidate for the position must live in Ward 1 and meet other requirements set forth in the city charter. Once appointed, the person will serve Coburn’s unexpired term, which is a little over 11 months. The seat will officially come up for election in November 2019.
Other agenda items:
- Administer oath of office to newly elected officials, which include mayor, Ward 2 and Ward 4 counclmembers and the city marshal
- Consider dates and times for future City Council meetings.
- Consider electing a mayor pro tem for the upcoming year.
- Consider authorizing the deputy city clerk to attend the 64th Annual Texas Vital Statistics Annual Conference Dec. 10-12.
- Consider approval of an ordinance canvassing returns and declaring results of an election held Nov. 6.
- Consider approval of an ordinance canvassing returns and declaring results of a special recall election held concurrently with the Groves General Election on Nov. 6.
Port Arthur police have arrested 18-year-old James Earl Holloway for the March 4 shooting death of Kevonn Washington, also 18.... read more