Events abound for Halloween
There will be plenty of events for the candy-seeking, costume-wearing folks on All Hallows Eve on Wednesday.
The folks at Nederland Chamber of Commerce are busy with last-minute details and watching the weather forecast. Diana LaBorde, chamber president, said there are about 25 people signed up for the annual trunk or treat — and she expects there to be about 30, total.
“We are expecting over 1,000 kids,” LaBorde said. “Every year it gets bigger and bigger.”
The fun will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on Boston Avenue in the area of the two museums and police station. The roadway will be blocked off for safety of the trick or treaters.
“We will be taking kids’ pictures on the chamber porch and posting on Facebook for parents and Mike Sheffield of Sheffield Productions will also be out getting candid photos that will be uploaded,” she said.
The National Weather Service-Lake Charles will also be keeping an eye on the weather as they monitor for the potential for strong to severe storms on Halloween. Scattered showers and thunderstorms will begin in the afternoon, especially in east Texas, with more widespread coverage sweeping across southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana in the evening and south central Louisiana after midnight.
Those who haven’t had a chance to get a costume can still head over to the Fear Factory Outlet, 2109 N. Twin City Highway, Nederland. The store, which has been open for 10 years, is going out of business and all items are discounted.
The family-owned business could no longer compete with the big box stores, so they’re closing their doors. But, Jim Metts, co-owner, said Stroud’s Fireworks would not be affected.
As for the most popular costume this year? There really isn’t one, he said.
Here’s a list of fall festivals and trunk or treats:
- The 14th Annual Boston Avenue Trunk –R- Treat will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on Boston Avenue near the museums, Nederland.
- First Baptist Church Trunk or Treat will be from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, 1911 Nederland Ave., Nederland.
- Holy Trinity Episcopal Church Trunk R Treat will begin at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the church parking lot, 2425 Nall St., Port Neches.
- Encounter Church will hold a Fall Fest from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at the church, 5300 Twin City Hwy., Groves.
- Lamar State College Port Arthur will host its annual Halloween Trunk or Treat from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Sam and Linda Monroe Performing Arts Center parking lot, 1500 Proctor St., Port Arthur. There will be candy, games, photo booth and face painting.
- Halloween at the Fire Station will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. at Jefferson County Water District No. 10 Volunteer Fire Department, 2024 Spurlock Road, Nederland.
- Holy Cross Lutheran Church and Early Childhood/Mother’s Day out will host a Trick or Treat from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the church, 2711 Helena Ave., Nederland.
- First Baptist Church Port Neches will host a Trunk or Treat from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at the church, 1900 Magnolia Ave., Port Neches.
- Mid County Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram and Fiat will host a Trunk or Treat from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the dealership, 8181 Memorial Blvd., Port Arthur. There will be candy, free food and a bounce house.
- New Beginning World Outreach will hold a Trunk or Treat at 5 p.m. Wednesday at 3705 Ninth Ave., Port Arthur.