Families pack Groves Pecan Fest on Friday (plus a look at the weekend schedule)
GROVES — Food, rides and games were on the to-do list for families at the Groves Pecan Festival on Friday.
Crowds began to hit the festival grounds at Lions Park when the gates opened despite the homecoming game being played by Port Neches-Groves Indians in neighboring Port Neches.
Over at the games section of the grounds May Rosales helped her children, Hailey and Isaiah, toss ping-pong balls at colorful glass bowls trying to win a goldfish.
The family had been having fun, the mom said.
“We’ve been here since last night,” May Rosales said indicating they were on their second night of festival fun.
Ann Broussard stopped by one of the vendor booths to grab some curley fries and pink lemonade.
“I enjoy it,” Broussard said, adding that she goes to the Pecan Festival almost every year.
The fun continues Saturday and Sunday at Lions Park.
Saturday, Oct. 27
- 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. — Carnival, food and craft booths open
- 11 a.m. — Festival Kick-off after parade at the Lion’s Park Pavilion. The National Anthem will be sung by Marsha Jackson
- 11 to 11:30 a.m. — Jazzercise
- 1:30 to 2 p.m. — Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service.
- 2 to 3 p.m. — Armentor’s United Martial Arts
- 3 to 4 p.m. — Danceworks
- 4 to 5 p.m. — Debbie’s Dance Etc.
- 5 to 6:30 p.m. — Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
- 6:30 to 7 p.m. — Announce the winners of the “Cooking with Pecans” contest
7 to 11 p.m. Groves Got Talent Contest Semi Finals/Finals/Winners Announcement.
Sunday, Oct. 28
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
- 1 to 3 p.m. — Pet Show at Lee Rogers Pavilion
- 3 to 3:30 p.m. — Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
- 3:30 to 4 p.m. — Port Neches Middle School Choir
- 4 to 4:30 p.m. — Groves Middle School Choir
- 4:30 to 6 p.m. — Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
- 6 p.m. — End of festival