PA apartment fire displaces residents

Published 4:21 pm Saturday, January 7, 2017

PA apartment fire displaces residents

By David Ball

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

There were no injuries reported but the Red Cross was called out to assist five displaced tenants after a fire at a Port Arthur apartment complex on Friday night.

Firefighters with the Port Arthur Fire Department responded at 10:13 p.m. on Jan. 6 to Stonegate Manor Apartments, according to a press release from the PAFD.

The fire was confined to the attic space above one apartment. The apartment and the apartment below it had smoke and water damage. The attic space had severe damage to the roof of the apartment on fire and burned off.

Six other units in the building had to be vacated due to either smoke damage or a loss of electricity due to the fire. The occupants were not at home at the time of the fire.

The PAFD responded with three engine companies, one ladder company, two chiefs’ units, and a deputy fire marshal. The Port Neches Fire Department assisted with a ladder company.

The fire was completely extinguished at 10:56 p.m.

The origin of the fire appears to be a heating unit in the attic above the apartment unit that caught fire at this time.

The PAFD would like to remind residents to be aware of wintertime safety during cold weather and always keep combustibles such as clothing and other items at least three feet away from space heaters.

A qualified technician should perform an annual safety inspection on central air and heating units to ensure proper operation. Homes with a fuel burning heating unit, such as natural gas, should have a carbon monoxide detector.

David Ball: 409-721-2427