• 77°

Seaboard LLC buys former Renaissance Hospital

GROVES — New life is being breathed into the former Renaissance Hospital.

  1. Sosa, Groves city manager, was informed by a bankruptcy trustee on Dec. 13 that Seaboard LLC has purchased the property.

“The plan to do a substantial demo on the site and open a new medical facility of some kind,” Sosa said of the information he was given by the trustee. “A medical facility of any kind would be great for us (Groves).”

Renaissance Hospital officially closed on Nov. 12, 2013 when water service to the facility was shut off. The prior purchaser, Jason LeDay of St. Anthony Hospital in Houston, never actually opened the doors to the hospital and, at that time, did not return calls to The Port Arthur News.

The hospital, 5500 39th St., was once home to the successful Doctors Hospital, which was started by a group of local doctors. Renaissance Hospital bought the former Doctor’s Hospital in 2004 after the Doctor’s Hospital began to experience financial difficulties.

Headed up Dan Delagarza, the facility was refurbished with state-of-the-art equipment, updated patient rooms and other upgrades at that time.

The hospital thrived for a while and was quickly up and running after 2005’s Hurricane Rita, Sosa said.

By 2009 the hospital went into bankruptcy and changed hands again as it was purchased by Atlantic Health Group. Later that year, Steve and Eileen Nguyen took ownership and within two years payroll issues came to light. The hospital later lost certification to accept Medicare patients and a new management group, Foundation Surgical Hospital Affiliates based in Oklahoma, Ok., came in.

Things were starting to look up for the hospital under the leadership of Woodrow “Woody” Moore but his leadership was only to be a temporary fix until a new owner entered the picture.

LeDay entered the picture briefly but was also dealing with financial issues at the Houston hospital, which closed down, and Renaissance suddenly closed its doors in April 2013.

Earlier this year it seemed as if another new owner was on the horizon but those plans fell through, according to earlier reporting.

The news of a new owner with plans for the property gives city leaders hope.

Sosa said he hopes to see something happen with the property in early 2017 though no plans have come across his desk at this time.

“We are happy and looking forward to it,” he said.