If you are looking for fun, you can find it in a nutshell
Published 8:16 am Monday, October 26, 2015
“Fun in a Nutshell” is the theme of this year’s Groves Pecan Festival. The 46th Annual Festival is scheduled for Nov. 5 – 8. Along with the date change, the festival will have a new carnival this year. The Groves Pecan Festival Board of Directors would like to encourage every one of all ages to come and visit the festival. You can eat your way through the food area with ice cream, funnel cakes, snow cones, pecan pie, curly fries, gumbo, hamburgers, barbecue, pork-a-bobs, boudain balls, nachos, pistolettes, etc., then you can wash it down with freshly squeezed homemade lemonade.
Also, the craft area should have something for everyone. This year’s Platinum Sponsor is TOTAL Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Inc.
Mega Passes for the Texas Pecan Festival carnival rides can be purchased at the Groves Activity Building, 6150 39th St. in Groves on:
Monday, October 26th – Thursday, October 29th, 3:30 – 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 31st, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday Nov. 2nd, 3:30 – 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 3rd, 3:30 – 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Nov. 4th, 3:30 – 8 p.m.
Children must be present to have pictures taken for the Passes. The Mega Passes can be purchased for $35 each, which will entitle the bearer to ride unlimited rides during the festival beginning at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 5, and ends at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 8. NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED. For further information, contact the Groves Chamber of Commerce office at (409) 962-3631
Arm Bands will be on sale in the carnival area at the ticket booth in Lion’s Park.
- The 3rd Annual Pecan Festival Classic Car Show will be held on Saturday, October 31, at Lion’s Park, 4800 Lincoln Ave. The show begins around 7:00 a.m. and ends at 4:00 pm. Judging of the cars will start around noon with the Award Ceremony beginning at 2:00 p.m. Money raised from the Classic Car Show will benefit the Groves Senior Citizen’s Center. The Chairperson is Curtis Humphrey. Sponsors are JK Chevrolet and Melancon’s Funeral Home.
- The 1st Annual Tour de Groves Bike Ride will be held on Saturday, October 31, 2015. The event will start at the corner of Jefferson & Lincoln Ave. in front of Celebration Park. This is a family-friendly neighborhood bike ride with a 20, 9, and a 5 mile route. The 20-milers will begin at 8:00 am with the 9-mile and 5-mile riders beginning at 8:15 am. Registration is open on http://www.active.com/groves-tx/…/races/tour-de-groves-2015 or registration forms are available at the Groves Chamber of Commerce & Tourist Center office, 4399 Main Ave., Groves or at Kickstand Bike Shop in Beaumont at 6366 Phelan Blvd.
All proceeds will be donated to the Groves Senior Citizen Center. ALL RIDERS MUST WEAR A BIKE HELMENT. For more information you may contact the event coordinators Barbara Edington at (409) 982-8708 & Barbara@mycoastalcaregivers.com or Heidi Thomson at (409) 982-8709
- Starting on Monday, November 2nd: The Groves Pecan Festival TREASURE HUNT, sponsored by Levingston Funeral Home. Clues will appear in the Port Arthur News and on the “Groves Pecan Festival” Facebook page. This year’s Chairperson is Ross Allen.
- The Groves Pecan Festival Photo/Art Contest entry deadline is Wednesday, October 28th. The Awards Reception will be held Monday, November 2nd, at 7:00 p.m. at Groves Café & Coffee Bar (formally Kizmet Studio & Koffee Bar) located at 6039 39th St. Entry fee will be $5.00 per entry, with a 3 Photo/Artwork entry limit per person. Entries for the Photo Contest must be an 8 X 10 matted photo. Entries for the Art Contest must be on a no-larger-than 16 X 20 canvas.
Photos/Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing, and only original Photos/Artwork will be accepted. Only one entry per category will be allowed to place in the awards. First Place, Second Place, Third Place and a Robert Pastorella Sr. Memorial Award (previously People’s Choice Award) will be chosen for all four divisions. Applications to enter this event may be obtained at Groves Café & Coffee Bar located at 6039 39th St., or the Groves Chamber of Commerce office located at 4399 Main Ave. This year’s Co-Chairpersons are Scott and Tina Legendre. Sponsors for this year’s Photo/Art Contest are Jana Riley, KELLERWILLIAMS Realty of SETX and Mid County Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram.
- This year’s musical entertainment will get started at 5:30 p.m. on Friday evening with the Texas Cajun Jude Moreau and the Bon Temp Playboys. Then at 8:30 p.m., country rocker David Joel with his band will perform. On Saturday evening at 5:30 p.m., the Lamar Jazz Band will entertain festival goers. Then at 7:30 p.m., rounding out the musical guest for the festival weekend will be the Champagne Room who will perform a mix of Motown, R&B, Funk, and Hip Hop making everyone want to get up and dance. Entertainment Sponsors are BASF TOTAL Petrochemicals LLC, Groves Equipment Rental Co., Inc. and Whataburger (BURGERWORKS)
- The Horseshoe Tournament – The Horseshoe Tournament, singles and doubles, will be held in Lion’s Park, located at 6200 Jackson, on Sunday, November 8th. The Chairperson is Brad Bailey and Chris Weber.
- The Groves Pecan Festival Parade will begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 7th. Line up will begin at 8:30 a.m. by entering from Terrell Street onto Cleveland Avenue. The parade begins at 39th St. at Cleveland Ave., heads west on 39th St. Then travels down 39th St. to Gulf Ave. where the parade ends after making a right turn on Gulf Ave. Parade sponsor is Philpott Ford. The Chairperson is Paul Patin.
- The Pie Eating Contest, sponsored by Merle Norman & Bella Boutique and Classic Forms, will be Saturday, November 7th, at 1:00 p.m. at Lion’s Park in the Center Tent area. The Chairpersons are Deanna Stafford and Terri Melancon.
- The Cooking with Pecans Contest, sponsored by Oak Grove Nursing Home and Julian Salter Insurance Company will be held on Saturday, November 7th at 4:30 p.m. at Lion’s Park in the Center Tent Area. Applications & Rules to enter this event may be obtained at the Groves Chamber of Commerce office located at 4399 Main Ave. or at the Chamber concession trailer in the Lion’s Park. The Chairpersons is Maggie Wilson.
- The Groves Pecan Festival Pet Show, sponsored by Wilcox Veterinary Clinic and Groves Dairy Queen, will be Sunday, November 8th, at 1:00 p.m. at the Lee Rodgers Pavilion located in Lion’s Park. Pet Show registration begins at 12 noon. The Chairperson is Carol Sigona.
- The Hero Run 5K & Kids K Fun Run: Run has been postponed. New date and time will be announced at a later date.
Festival Weekend Schedule of Events
Thursday, November 5, 2015
5:00 – 11:00 p.m. – Carnival only will be open
Friday, November 6,
5:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. – Continuous Entertainment, Carnival, Food and Craft Booths Open
5:00 – 5:30 p.m. Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Band to Play, Jude Moreau and the Bon Temps Playboys
7:30 – 8:30 p.m. Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
8:30 – 10:30 p.m. Band to Play, David Joel Band
Saturday, November 7, 2015
Entertainment: 11:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. – Carnival, Food and Craft Booths Open
11:00 a.m. Festival Kick-off after parade with PNG Band, Cheerleaders, Indianettes, Twirlers 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Tonalta School of Music
12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 pm. Orange Jazz Company
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Armentor’s United Martial Arts
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Debbie’s School of Dance
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Kim Ross Danceworks
5:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. Introduction of the 2015 Pecan Festival Pageant Queen & her court.
5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Lamar Jazz Band “Section 51”
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Announce the winners of the ‘Cooking with Pecans” contest & Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Band to Play, Champagne Room
Sunday, November 8, 2015
Entertainment & Events:
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
Noon – Pet Show Registration at Lee Rodgers Pavilion.
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. PET SHOW
3:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service
3:30 p.m. Port Neches Middle School Choir
4:00 p.m. Groves Middle School Choir
5:00 p.m. PN-G High School Indian Singers
5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Music by Beau Wilson of Electrifying Sounds DJ Service and the National Anthem sung.