Being a PA News Intern

Published 3:40 pm Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Busy as a Bee, Immersed like an Intern

Waking up in the morning and preparing to get busy at work would be a lot easier if I could drink coffee.

After a sluggish morning, I walked into the office at 10, set my bag down, and had only just clicked on my email when I was immediately whisked away to take pictures for an article.  I wasn’t nearly as nervous as I was the first day; I knew how the camera worked this time.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

It’s really interesting for me to be able to watch the other reporters interview people about different events and organizations.  Each of them has a different way of asking questions and taking notes, but they all attempt to make small talk during the interview.  I think that helps to take the formality out of the process and make it a little more casual and relaxed.  I tend to be nervous getting interviewed and when I interview other people, so I understand how a little chit-chat helps to relax the interviewer and the interviewee.

When we got back to the office, I had three articles waiting for me.  One of them wasn’t due for a couple of weeks, but I had the opportunity to get started on it immediately and prepare what I wanted to do with it.  I had just finished one of the shorter articles when I got another photography assignment at the Salvation Army.

We got to the Salvation Army after having to go through a slight detour due to construction.  I got to sit in one of the softest little chairs I’ve ever felt before while I paid attention to the interview.  I think one of the greatest things about being a reporter is you get to meet and talk to so many incredible people.  Everyone you interview has a different personality, something that is important to them, and a story to tell.  That’s partly what being a journalist is– helping to tell all those stories.

I got my schedule for tomorrow when we got back from the interview: three more photo assignments two hours apart.  I’m already ready to get started.