Brother Clarence Moss

Published 3:27 pm Friday, April 20, 2012

   Brother Clarence Moss peacefully overcame his battle with years of illness on April 12, 2012, in the comfort of his home. He had been an uncomplaining patient who accepted his illness with dignity and grace. Those who visited or cared for him marveled at his unshakable faith and spirit which inspired those who met him.

   Bro. Moss, “Papa”, as he was affectionately known by his family and close friends, was a lifetime resident of Port Arthur, Texas. He was one of six children born to the union of Fred Moss, Sr., and Rosa King. He graduated from Lincoln High School in 1949 and went on to work at the Port Arthur Planning Mill, like his father and brothers before him. He was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1952 and was honorably discharged in 1956. Later, he was hired at Gulf Oil where he spent 28 years until his retirement in 1986.

   Baptized at St. Paul Methodist Church at a very young age, Brother Moss was an active member of the Usher Board and served on several committees within the church. He willingly supported his church family and their activities until illness prevented his participation. He was also a member of Port Arthur Concerned Citizens for Safer Streets.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

   One of the founders of the Royalist Civic and Social Club, an organization of which he was very proud, Bro. Moss served on the scholarship committee and in other capacities. He retired his membership in 2006; however, the Royalists continued to regard him as one of their most faithful brothers.

   Papa was a person upon whom everyone could depend. If he said he would do something, he did it. He cared for his father and mother through their illnesses, enjoyed family and social life with his wife and daughter and their grandchildren, and always had cookies and candy available for his grandsons and the Revuelta boys, who regularly visited the Moss home. Those who visited the Mosses will remember his lying back in his favorite recliner or sitting at the head of the table for meals, and others will remember his driving his Roadmaster around town.

   Bro. Moss was preceded in death by his wife of 41 years, Roberta; his brother Fred, who died only six weeks earlier; two other brothers and one sister; his son-in-law, Anthony Lathan, and his beloved grandsons, Tony and Keith.

Cherishing many memorable moments with Bro. Moss are his daughter, Mary E. Lathan, who remained with him until he was called home; one sister, Genevive Berry of San Francisco, CA; his caregivers and their families, Barbara Pegross, like a daughter, who prepared meals and shared numerous family gathering for over 20 years; Trinette Rose, who spent five years sitting with and preparing him for bedtime; Mrs. Margaret Hilstock who compassionately cared for Mr. Moss from 2009 until the end of his life; Elizabeth Revuelta, who spent every holiday in the Moss home; Donna Lowe; devoted friend, Johnny Narcisse, who accompanied Mr. Moss on many errands around town and visited regularly; a special friend, Ronnie Williams; and several nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.

   Services for Bro. Moss are Saturday, April 21, 2012, at 1:00 p.m. at St. Paul United Methodist Church, Pastor Patricia Wells officiating. Visitation is 11:00 a.m. until service time.

   Final arrangements entrusted to Hannah Funeral Home, Inc.