PORT NECHES —
There’s a lot going on at Riverfest this year, just ask Shane Reedy.
Reedy, co-chairman of the Riverfest Committee, ticked off a long list of highlights for this year’s event to be held from Thursday, May 3 through Sunday, May 6 at Port Neches Riverfront Park.
The Mighty Thomas Carnival is in town with not one but two new rides, there are four days filled with entertainment acts, a fireworks show, Classic Car and Motorcycle Show, Veteran’s Parade, Pet Show, washerboard and horseshoe tournaments and of course the boat races.
“We have entertainment every night and the big entertainer this year is Stoney LaRue,” Reedy said. “We also have Champagne Room, a great local act now a regional act that’s gaining popularity. We have the Bart Crow band and Reckless Kelly. A lot of great country artists acts this year.”
The boat races, or Thunder on the Neches, features power boats zooming along the Neches River which are produced by John Schubert with Southern Professional Outboard Racing Tours.
General admission to the entertainment complex, which includes the boat race area and the music area, is $5 per day. Children 13 and under and those with Riverpasses get in free. There is no admission on Sunday, May 6.
Organizers are working to make parking a bit easier with a 75-person shuttle that will travel up and down Merriman and the addition of a paid parking lot right on the river.
“People can take Llano Street to the riverfront. We have an area that can hod 1,500 cars,” he said. “Golf carts will be available to shuttle people to the park. It’s not that long of a walk but is available for those who need it.”
Parking in the riverfront lot is $5 per vehicle and proceeds go to a non-profit organization that helps disadvantaged children experience camp.
Lighting has been added to the parking lot and there will be people on hand to keep an eye on the vehicles, he added.
Reedy added a note of appreciation to the sponsors and volunteers who help make the event a success.
“I just want to say we appreciate all the sponsors and volunteers,” he said. “Without them Riverfest wouldn’t be possible. The sponsors allow us to continue to bring most of this at free or very affordable price each year.”
For more information about any of the events, call the Port Neches Chamber of Commerce at 722-9154 or pnriverfest.com
THURSDAY, MAY 3
• 8 a.m. — Kick-off coffee. Neches Federal Credit Union, 776 Magnolia in Port Neches
• On-going — Treasure Hunt, until treasure is found. Sponsored by BBVA Compass Bank
• 6 to 10 p.m. — Vendors open
• 5 to 10 p.m. — Mighty Thomas Carnival open. Wrist Band Night, sponsored by KQXY 94.1
• 6 to 11 p.m. — Entertainment Complex open
• 6 p.m. — Opening ceremony, pavilion
• 6 p.m. — Kids’ T-shirt Contest winner announced, pavilion. Sponsors: Florida Tans, Tech Corr, Smiles by Design, DuPont Goodrich FCU, Dr. Stephen L. Hall, D.O.
• 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. — Alan Duhon, Riverfront Stage
• 7:45 to 9 p.m. — Kaiser Bros.; Jimmy and David Lee Kaiser, Riverfront Stage
• 9:30 to 11 p.m. — 6 Market Blvd., Riverfront Stage. Entertainment sponsors: Your Neighborhood Chevy Dealers and Budweiser
For more great stories and community coverage subscribe to the Port Arthur News.
Click here for the E-Edition
Click here for the print edition
For help with subscriptions, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org