PAnews.com, Port Arthur, Texas

Sports

July 2, 2013

PN-G graduate headed to fight at UFC 162 in Vegas

GROVES — A vast majority of teenage boys in high school dream of one day competing at the highest level in a sporting event. It might be the NFL or the NBA or the MLB.

One local man is getting to fulfill his dream this Saturday and it will take him to one of the world’s most famous venues. This dream will take Brian Melancon inside an octagon and staring into the face of a man looking to knock him flat on his back.

Melancon, a graduate of Port Neches-Groves High School, will take on Seth Baczynski in the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s (UFC) undercard Saturday at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas. The fight will be shown on the UFC’s Facebook page at around 4 p.m. Saturday. There is a chance depending on the length of the first few fights shown Saturday night on Pay-Per-View that Melancon’s fight will be aired on PPV.

Melancon has been a fan of the UFC since he was 12 years old and watched UFC 3. He watched Royce Gracie defeat Kimo Leopoldo with an armlock submission.

He decided that night one day he would fight in the UFC.

“Fighting in the UFC was really my only goal when I started out in MMA,” Melancon said. “I feel a part of my goal is finished and now I want to finish the other part with a win.”

Melancon has not fought since Sept. 2011 when he defeated Felipe Portela with a round three decision.

He was then set to fight once again with the Strikeforce organization yet an injury kept him out of the fight. Melancon then was married to his wife, Michelle, in Sept. 2012 and got a job running four clinics as a supervisor. He sat back, enjoyed married life and his new career.

The UFC gave Melancon a call in December 2012 after it bought out Strikeforce earlier in the year and was looking to bring in a few of its former fighters.

“It actually took a while to accept the fight,” Melancon said. “I thought about it with my wife and finally decided it would have been pointless to have this dream and not take this opportunity.”

So now the quiet young man from Groves will step into the Octagon and try to prove himself to Dana White, the president of UFC.

“I have always been competitive in everything I do,” Melancon said. “I needed something to fuel that fire after school so I got some instructions and started to teach myself. After that it all started to snowball when I joined a gym. I don’t look at this as fighting. This is a sport for me and it is a competition.”

So what is it like standing in an octagon and realizing people paid good money to watch the person across from you try to knock you out or make you submit?

“For me I am never nervous or angry or distracted,” Melancon added. “I always stay calm and realize I have done this 1,000 times in the gym. Everything blacks out and I have no thoughts except for what I am focused on during this fight. It is a job and to me it is just like every other sport I have participated in since I was a kid. There has never been a better feeling for me than when you knock someone out. It is amazing.”

One thing the 170-pound Texas native will change this go around is to enjoy the moment before the fight instead of waiting until after he is done competing against Baczynski.

“I am always so focused on the goal of winning I have never took a moment before the fight and enjoyed the moment,” Melancon said. “This time I am going to make sure I enjoy a moment or two when I step into the Octagon. I just want to enjoy the ride and have a little fun out there.”

Melancon is 6-2 coming into this fight while Baczynski is 17-7. Baczynski is seven inches taller than Melancon, standing 6-foot, three-inches.

“I am used to that since I am only 5’8,” Melancon said. “His reach will be a little longer than mine but thankfully I am built like a gorilla. I have trained with guys taller than me my whole career. I will be used to that. Seth is a well-rounded fighter. He is a scrappy guy and is tough. It will be an exciting fight.”

Melancon also wanted to make sure everyone knew he was fighting for a reason this Saturday. He will fight for the cause named Fight for the Forgotten.

His friend Justin Wren started the movement to help free Pygmies slaves in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Fellow countrymen call the Pygmies half man half animal and have been slaves for years. They have also suffered cannibalism.

“They are an enslaved race in the Congo,” Melancon said. “They are treated like animals and we want to work to free them. Justin is actually going to the Congo, which is a very dangerous place to be, to help set them free. I only want to raise this issue up so everyone knows what is going on in other parts of the world.”

 

1
Text Only
Sports
  • Bassmaster Elites are coming back

    The Bassmaster Elite Series returns to Southeast Texas in March 2015 to fish out of Orange.
    The announcement was made last week, ahead of Bassmaster’s official tournament schedule announcement and the buzz is already strong in Southeast Texas and beyond.
    I was in Orlando, Fla. attending the ICAST (fishing trade) show and talked with a number of top anglers including Kevin VanDam, Mike Iaconelli and Shaw Grigsby who said it was no surprise they would return considering the massive turnout for the weigh-ins and that the area welcomed them in a very special way.
    It’s far too early to speculate anything like who the top contenders will be or how the fishing will be but there are some things to keep in mind and to look for over the next few months and into the event itself.
    • Prefishing-There is a pre-fishing cutoff that usually extends to right before the Bassmaster Classic and I fully expect most of the anglers in the Elites to come back and prefish.
    Last go-round probably 2/3 of the field fished the area but this time I expect that to be just about everyone. Many of the anglers that did not pre-fish told me they expected to have a lot of water to fish but the sheer volume and diversity was almost overwhelming.
    Beginning probably in the early fall we will see many anglers fishing local waters to get a better idea on how to approach the area.
    • East to West Runs-The Elite anglers fished far and wide but I expect even more running next go-round. After launching from the Simmons Drive Boat Ramp in Orange angler Bill Lowen ran down the Intracoastal, across Galveston Bay and fished in the Clear Lake area and placed in the top 12. The more adventurous anglers will try super long runs, in my opinion, even longer than last time to try and score on big fish. The Intracoastal Canal system makes that possible.
    • Sabine River -Very few of the anglers actually fished in the Sabine River despite the event being called the “Sabine River Challenge”. I think that will change with more anglers running as far north as they can to find pockets of fish that receive little pressure and perhaps a four or five-pounder to push them over the top.
    • Bigger Turnout-Last year some 34,000 people attended the event which set a Bassmaster record for an Elite event.
     It was broken a couple of weeks later in New York but I fully expect the 2015 tournament to draw 40,000 plus. The reason they are coming back is not for the stellar fishing because while we have lots of bass, everyone knows our fishery cannot compare to Toledo Bend for example.
    The support from the public however was amazing and that is what is bringing the top anglers on the planet to fish our area.
    We will have the very best coverage of the event beginning now and leading up to it with exclusive interviews with all of the top pros with not only their thoughts on the big event but with unique tips on how you can catch more fish.
    It’s an exciting time and I look forward to bringing you special coverage on a special event.
    (To contact Chester Moore, e-mail him at cmooreoutdoors@gmail.com. You can hear him on “Moore Outdoors” Fridays from 6-7 p.m. on Newstalk AM 560 KLVI or online at www.klvi.com or watch him on “God’ Outdoors with Chester Moore” Saturdays at 10 a.m. on GETV.org)

    July 23, 2014

  • Mid County knocked out of tournament

    The Mid County 16-18 Babe Ruth squad’s run to the World Series is over.

    July 22, 2014

  • West golf notepad: West duo claims title in Texas Father-Son

    July 22, 2014

  • Mid County sets up championship series with Tri County

    The Southwest Regional Babe Ruth championship series is set and yes the hometown Mid County squad will be there to play.

    July 21, 2014

  • MC Babe Ruth goes 2-0

    First things first, give Clint Landry and the rest of the officials credit for making the Southwest Regional Babe Ruth tournament possible this weekend at Nederland High School.

    July 19, 2014

  • Up the odds for solid bank fishing

    There are certain limitations to fishing without a boat.

    July 19, 2014

  • Derek Williams, Summer Money League light up the lanes at Max Bowl

    Thursday nights Summer Money League produced some very impressive scores.

    July 19, 2014

  • West column: Pacers hiring Pat Knight didn't help Lamar

    July 19, 2014

  • Babe Ruth.jpg Mid County Babe Ruth set to host Southwest Regional

    The Mid County Babe Ruth 18U team is once again knocking on the World Series door. Mid County will host the Southwest Regional at Nederland High School starting today. Mid County’s first game of the tournament is slated for 7 p.m. Friday against Pine Bluff, Ark. Thursday was a special day for Mid County Babe Ruth as two locals, Jimmy Collins (shown speaking) and Skip Hopkins (back left) were inducated intot he Southwest Regional Babe Ruth Hall of Fame. Both Hopkins and Collins have been involved in Babe Ruth for over 40 consecutive years either as player, coach or board member. There are nine teams in the tournament with the winner headed to Washington state for the World Series.

    July 17, 2014 1 Photo

  • West golf notepad: Eleven-year-old Henry scores ace in YMBL tourney

    July 15, 2014

From the Fieldhouse blog