LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
* When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
* Where: Bulldog Stadium, Nederland
* Records: Lumberton 8-1, 5-1; Nederland 4-3, 4-2
* Series: Nederland leads 8-2
* Last meeting: Lumberton, 33-7
* Radio: KLVI-AM (560)
* Internet: www.klvi.com
* Raiders capsule: One magical season was not enough for third-year head coach Alvin Credeur. The 45-year-old former PN-G and Kelly assistant brings the finest 20-4A defense (210.5 yards a game) to Mid-County plus the league's turnover champs (plus 9) and owners of the best overall season (8-1). A win tonight retains at least a share of the 20-4A title for Lumberton which fashioned its all-time greatest campaign (11-2) last year.... Team leader Jacob Hanna ranks 2nd in 20-4A rushing and scoring with 900 yards and 78 points. The senior moves from end to middle linebacker due to the torn ligament sustained by junior Anthony Beard at PN-G.... Soph Ryan Hughes moved to 4th among 20-4A passers this week with 430 yards, but Lumberton has not placed a receiver among the league leaders... Raiders own two superb defensive tackles, Mark Murrill and Mason Archer to clog opposing ground games....
* Bulldogs capsule: Coach Larry Neumann celebrated a 13th playoff berth clincher at Vidor with a hard-earned 35-23 win but Neumann has experienced a blustery week due to suspensions of Asa Cardenas and Dionte Forney for missing practice without excused absences.... The Dogs will have to have Ryan Brady, Jude Vidrine, Brent Salenga and Jimmy Swain to take up the slack for those starters. Tommy Gillespie must occupy a huge role at end because Lumberton can tend to turn in that direction.... Senior Wareall Grogan leads a band of 20 seniors to make their final Bulldog Stadium appearances unless the Dogs host a playoff game.... Grogan is the 20-4A leader in rushing (1,091 yards) and scoring (84 points). He's accompanied by the 20-4A passing champ Kirby Bellow (1,393 aerial yards)... The 21st senior, Cardenas, leads 20-4A receivers with 33 receptions but likely loses that title to Ozen's Willie Jefferson (with 30) by not playing tonight. Neumann said Asa's status will be reviewed, along with Forney's, on Monday...
LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
Mid County sets up championship series with Tri County
The Southwest Regional Babe Ruth championship series is set and yes the hometown Mid County squad will be there to play.
- West column: Pacers hiring Pat Knight didn't help Lamar
MC Babe Ruth goes 2-0
First things first, give Clint Landry and the rest of the officials credit for making the Southwest Regional Babe Ruth tournament possible this weekend at Nederland High School.
Up the odds for solid bank fishing
There are certain limitations to fishing without a boat.
Derek Williams, Summer Money League light up the lanes at Max Bowl
Thursday nights Summer Money League produced some very impressive scores.
Mid County Babe Ruth set to host Southwest Regional
The Mid County Babe Ruth 18U team is once again knocking on the World Series door. Mid County will host the Southwest Regional at Nederland High School starting today. Mid County’s first game of the tournament is slated for 7 p.m. Friday against Pine Bluff, Ark. Thursday was a special day for Mid County Babe Ruth as two locals, Jimmy Collins (shown speaking) and Skip Hopkins (back left) were inducated intot he Southwest Regional Babe Ruth Hall of Fame. Both Hopkins and Collins have been involved in Babe Ruth for over 40 consecutive years either as player, coach or board member. There are nine teams in the tournament with the winner headed to Washington state for the World Series.
- West golf notepad: Eleven-year-old Henry scores ace in YMBL tourney
- West column: White, LU golfers enjoy special Open experience
Indians ousted early on Saturday
Port Neches-Groves’ run at the Texas 7-on-7 State Tournament came to a quick end on Saturday in College Station.
Pop quiz time for anglers
This week I thought it would be fun to do a quiz on salt/brackish fishing in Texas.
- More Sports Headlines
- Mid County sets up championship series with Tri County