LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
* When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
* Where: Bulldog Stadium, Nederland
* Records: Lumberton 8-1, 5-1; Nederland 4-3, 4-2
* Series: Nederland leads 8-2
* Last meeting: Lumberton, 33-7
* Radio: KLVI-AM (560)
* Internet: www.klvi.com
* Raiders capsule: One magical season was not enough for third-year head coach Alvin Credeur. The 45-year-old former PN-G and Kelly assistant brings the finest 20-4A defense (210.5 yards a game) to Mid-County plus the league's turnover champs (plus 9) and owners of the best overall season (8-1). A win tonight retains at least a share of the 20-4A title for Lumberton which fashioned its all-time greatest campaign (11-2) last year.... Team leader Jacob Hanna ranks 2nd in 20-4A rushing and scoring with 900 yards and 78 points. The senior moves from end to middle linebacker due to the torn ligament sustained by junior Anthony Beard at PN-G.... Soph Ryan Hughes moved to 4th among 20-4A passers this week with 430 yards, but Lumberton has not placed a receiver among the league leaders... Raiders own two superb defensive tackles, Mark Murrill and Mason Archer to clog opposing ground games....
* Bulldogs capsule: Coach Larry Neumann celebrated a 13th playoff berth clincher at Vidor with a hard-earned 35-23 win but Neumann has experienced a blustery week due to suspensions of Asa Cardenas and Dionte Forney for missing practice without excused absences.... The Dogs will have to have Ryan Brady, Jude Vidrine, Brent Salenga and Jimmy Swain to take up the slack for those starters. Tommy Gillespie must occupy a huge role at end because Lumberton can tend to turn in that direction.... Senior Wareall Grogan leads a band of 20 seniors to make their final Bulldog Stadium appearances unless the Dogs host a playoff game.... Grogan is the 20-4A leader in rushing (1,091 yards) and scoring (84 points). He's accompanied by the 20-4A passing champ Kirby Bellow (1,393 aerial yards)... The 21st senior, Cardenas, leads 20-4A receivers with 33 receptions but likely loses that title to Ozen's Willie Jefferson (with 30) by not playing tonight. Neumann said Asa's status will be reviewed, along with Forney's, on Monday...
LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
- Region III title snatched from Bailey's grasp
Nederland, Memorial shine at area track meets
Nederland and Port Arthur Memorial both have a lot to be proud of after Wednesday’s area track meets in the 4A and 5A classifications.
- Nederland's Kelsey Beard signs with Lamar
- Tic Price announces three LU assistants
- LSC-PA's West pitches no-hitter
Wildcats aren't champs but we're all still watching Calipari
Kentucky coach John Calipari is a college basketball phenom for his ability to knit together championship-caliber teams of freshmen. How long will Calipari's success last as other coaches catch on?
BASEBALL ROUNDUP: Bridge City wins 23rd district title
The No. 2 Bridge City Cardinals kept their perfect District 21-3A mark intact Tuesday night and clinched the title by nipping the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns 4-2 in District 21-3A play at Cardinal Field.
Kemp, Bulldogs muzzle Indians
Someone keeps forgetting to remind Chase Kemp he is still a young freshman.
SOFTBALL ROUNDUP: Lady Bulldogs move on to face Dayton
The Nederland Lady Bulldogs finished off its District 20-4A schedule with a 15-0 pounding of Beaumont Central.
- Bailey leads at regional, PN-G stands 4th
- More Sports Headlines