LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
* When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
* Where: Bulldog Stadium, Nederland
* Records: Lumberton 8-1, 5-1; Nederland 4-3, 4-2
* Series: Nederland leads 8-2
* Last meeting: Lumberton, 33-7
* Radio: KLVI-AM (560)
* Internet: www.klvi.com
* Raiders capsule: One magical season was not enough for third-year head coach Alvin Credeur. The 45-year-old former PN-G and Kelly assistant brings the finest 20-4A defense (210.5 yards a game) to Mid-County plus the league's turnover champs (plus 9) and owners of the best overall season (8-1). A win tonight retains at least a share of the 20-4A title for Lumberton which fashioned its all-time greatest campaign (11-2) last year.... Team leader Jacob Hanna ranks 2nd in 20-4A rushing and scoring with 900 yards and 78 points. The senior moves from end to middle linebacker due to the torn ligament sustained by junior Anthony Beard at PN-G.... Soph Ryan Hughes moved to 4th among 20-4A passers this week with 430 yards, but Lumberton has not placed a receiver among the league leaders... Raiders own two superb defensive tackles, Mark Murrill and Mason Archer to clog opposing ground games....
* Bulldogs capsule: Coach Larry Neumann celebrated a 13th playoff berth clincher at Vidor with a hard-earned 35-23 win but Neumann has experienced a blustery week due to suspensions of Asa Cardenas and Dionte Forney for missing practice without excused absences.... The Dogs will have to have Ryan Brady, Jude Vidrine, Brent Salenga and Jimmy Swain to take up the slack for those starters. Tommy Gillespie must occupy a huge role at end because Lumberton can tend to turn in that direction.... Senior Wareall Grogan leads a band of 20 seniors to make their final Bulldog Stadium appearances unless the Dogs host a playoff game.... Grogan is the 20-4A leader in rushing (1,091 yards) and scoring (84 points). He's accompanied by the 20-4A passing champ Kirby Bellow (1,393 aerial yards)... The 21st senior, Cardenas, leads 20-4A receivers with 33 receptions but likely loses that title to Ozen's Willie Jefferson (with 30) by not playing tonight. Neumann said Asa's status will be reviewed, along with Forney's, on Monday...
LUMBERTON AT NEDERLAND
- Halliburton column: Howard returns to 'Professor Hakeem'
- West on golf: Spring weather helping The Palms shape up
- Area golf notepad: Jarrod Brown helps MHB wins ASC championship
- Memorial's Labrie has shot to reach Austin
- LU golfers sixth at SLC championships
- WO-S uses big first to thump Bridge City
Titans, Bulldogs win in baseball
The Port Arthur Memorial Titans for the second time this District 21-5A season defeated the Beaumont West Brook Bruins.
Weisbrod wins Best Center for third straight year
It will be interesting to watch what high school basketball award givers will do next year when Nederland senior Colton Weisbrod is playing at the University of New Orleans.
- LU holds off Sam Houston, wins another series
- West column: Lamar probation does have silver lining
- More Sports Headlines