By Debby Schamber
FEMA officials have announced the Blue Roof program is now off the ground and running.
Applications are being taken at various locations in Jefferson and Orange counties.
After the application is received it will take about a week for the roof to be applied. However, the blue roofs are only for residences and not commercial buildings or metal roofs. Other agencies at the administration building is the Small Business Administration. People who qualify for the low interest loans may be eligible to re-pay them for up to 40 years. Additionally, members of the Texas Department of Emergency Management will be available with information of possible grants.
According to FEMA officials, about 22,346 Orange County residents have applied for Hurricane Ike assistance for a total of $1.1 million in approved disaster relief.
According to Greg Hughes, FEMA spokesperson, those who have registered and their contact numbers have since changed need to contact FEMA so a representative will be able to contact them to set an appointment for an assessment of their losses.
Blue roof registration sites
The following sites are currently available for registration for the Blue Roof program. The program is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA to have contractors put a blue tarp over damaged roofs. The program is free to property owners.
• Port Arthur Civic Center, 3401 Cultural Center Dr
• JP Office, PCT 4, 19217 Hwy 365
• Bridge City High School, 2690 Texas Ave
• Lowes Home Improvement, 4120 Dowlen Rd
• Alice Keith Community Center, 4070 Reed St
• 195 W. Bolivar
By Debby Schamber
- Local News
- Family members arrested for harboring murder suspect
- 3 PA home invasions in less than an hour
- Huntsman celebrates Earth Day with opening of new education center
- Beating the odds to become ordained
- Groves could gain new park
- Spears wins Reaud Award
- Woman robbed at gunpoint
- AG opinion cautions against EDC funding The Breeze
- PA Mayor frosty over cake flack
- PNG salary study reveals lows, highs
- More Local News Headlines