By Debby Schamber
The News staff writer
PINEHURST — Pinehurst detectives and the Texas Equusearch team were at the Sabine River on Thursday, looking for the body of a man reported missing from Orange almost 20 years ago.
Texas Equusearch used a side scan sonar to search the area under the Sabine River Bridge for the body of Eulan “Ray” Hodgkinson, whose mother reported him missing Sept. 11, 1988. Pinehurst police officials said they received a tip about the location of the body, as well as that Hodgkinson is believed to be stuffed inside a barrel.
“We found some images of interest,” said Tim Miller, director of Texas Equusearch.
Miller is scheduling divers from Houston to come in and take a look at the images.
“We are continuing to work on the investigation,” said Chief Dan Robertson of the Pinehurst Police Department.
Hodgkinson was last seen in Orange wearing a long-sleeved blue shirt with white stripes, dark trousers and black shoes. He was last spotted driving his 1988 Dodge Dakota pickup truck. He was born July 11, 1957, and is described as being 6 foot 2 inches tall and weighing about 200 pounds. He has black hair, brown eyes and a mustache.
The vehicle was recovered after Hodgkinson’s disappearance in a wooded area off of FM 1130 on an old oil field road that led to a soybean field. A camera, semi-automatic rifle and a large stereo player were missing from the truck.
According to reports, Hodgkinson left his mother’s Pinehurst home to visit with his employer and give him the status on a welding job in progress on Sept. 11, 1988. His mother believed he had also planned to go out to dinner. He disappeared after leaving his boss’ home.
Hodgkinson’s mother has been vigilant in her pursuit to find out what happened to her son. She has offered rewards and hired psychics, but the case still remains unsolved.
By Debby Schamber
- Local News
- OCI plant to create 240 permanent jobs
- More than 1,500 line up for housing assistance
- Sunny skies forecast for Easter
- Groves Police calls, April 9 through April 15
- McDaniel files for PAISD school board
- Nederland mobile home park zoning OK’d
- County agrees on economic incentives for hotel, waterpark
- Former Beaumont ISD employees guilty of stealing over $4 million
- Sheriff’s Office seeks Beaumont fugitive
- TEA to take over BISD management
- More Local News Headlines