GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - Defense lawyers in the capital murder trial of a man charged with a fatal shooting outside a Southeast Texas courthouse last year will begin their case next week.
Attorneys for 42-year-old Bartholomew Granger told Judge Bob Wortham Friday morning they needed more time to prepare for their opening statements to jurors in the trial that was moved from Beaumont to Galveston. Wortham says he'll resume the trial Monday.
Jefferson County prosecutors finished up their case Thursday, much quicker than expected. It began this past Monday.
Granger faces a possible death sentence if convicted of the slaying of a 79-year-old woman outside the downtown Beaumont courthouse last year. Minnie Ray Sebolt was caught in crossfire as an irate Granger was shooting and wounding his daughter and her mother.