PORT NECHES — A Port Neches family is grieving the loss of four of their beloved dogs after a swarm of bees attacked the small animals.
Tammie and Robert Jakobeit arrived home from work on Wednesday to discover MeMe, a 5-year-old Chihuahua, BJ, a 1-year-old Chihuahua mix, dead in her backyard.
Gypsy, 3, also a Chihuahua, and Anbella, a 6-year-old long-haired Daschund were barely breathing, she said.
Thinking the dogs had been poisoned, Tammie called their regular veterinarian who advised the Jakobeit’s to rush the pets to the Southeast Texas Animal Emergency Clinic in Beaumont.
“When the vet came out, she told us the dogs had been stung by bees,” she said. “’Bella was in a coma at that time and the vet found bees in her hair. I had to sign the papers to have her euthanized.”
Minutes later, the veterinarian came back out to tell the Jakobeit’s that Gypsy was in a coma as well. She thought they could save he and gave her epinephrine but Gypsy died five minutes later.”
Jakobeit believes the bees came from a person’s property in her neighborhood who had a problem with bees and recently called an exterminator out to their home.
“The vet said she’d never seen anything like this,” she said.
Since the dogs’ death Tammie asked her husband to take down the dogs kennel because she couldn’t stand to see the pen where the dogs died.
“We’ll never have another kennel,” she said. “The bees must have chased MeMe into her doghouse because that’s where she was when we found her.”
The deaths of four dogs simultaneously took its toll on Tammie who said she missed work on Thursday because she was so upset. The tears had slowed by Friday afternoon but came back as she retold her story.
“If someone is messing with bees they need to be aware of what can happen,” she said. “This could have been avoided, or someone could have gotten seriously hurt.”