, Port Arthur, Texas

June 26, 2013

UPDATE: Worker dies after being struck by iron at Port of PA

The Port Arthur News

PORT ARTHUR — An Orange County man is dead following an industrial accident at the Port of Port Arthur on Wednesday.

The deceased, who was a contractor with Mason Construction, has been identified as Juan Antonio Garcia-Hernandez, 40, of Orange.

Police in Port Arthur responded to the industrial accident at about 10:18 a.m. June 26 in the area of the Port of Port Arthur, located at 101 W. Lakeshore Drive, currently being leased by German Pellets, an overseas company, according to a press release from PAPD.

Several contractors were on the busy site building silos that will eventually contain wood pellets.

An investigator reportedly spoke to numerous people and determined that a JLG Manlift was being operated by employees of Hemi Systems and they were working on the silos and/or structures associated with them.

The manlift became stuck against the structures while approximately 40-feet up and went into safe mode where it could not be operated. During the process of freeing the manlift, a piece of angle iron about 10-feet long was catapulted from the basket of the manlift and fell to the ground where it struck the contractor.

Police said workers had roped off an exclusion zone under the manlift, however the angle iron was thrown outside that zone. Garcia-Hernandez sustained fatal injuries from the iron striking him in the upper portion of the body. He was transported to Christus Hospital-St. Elizabeth in Beaumont where he succumbed to his injuries.

Jefferson County Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace Ray Chesson is conducting an inquest into the death. Police do not expect to file criminal charges.



A worker was struck by a piece of iron that dropped from a platform at the Port of Port Arthur, 101 W. Lakeshore Drive, Wednesday around 10 a.m., according to the Port Arthur Police Department.

The platform was being used in the construction of a silo, a press release stated.

The victim was taken to Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont and his condition is currently unknown.