The Port Arthur News
Two local fire departments are welcoming the public for free fun and informative family events on Wednesday in recognition of Fire Prevention Week.
Port Arthur Fire Department will host a city-wide event beginning at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Robert A. “Bob” Bowers Civic Center, 3401 Cultural Center Drive.
PAFD Capt. Troy Irvine said the event will feature demonstrations of the Jaws of Life and displays of hazardous materials and rope rescue equipment. PAFD Local 397, American Red Cross, Port Arthur Neighborhood Action Council, Gulf Coast Health Care Center and Acadian Ambulance have a booth at the event and the Port Arthur Health Department will be on hand administering flu shots for $10.
“We’ll also have our fire trucks out for kids to climb on and look at so bring the kids there will be fun for everyone,” Irvine said.
Irvine added there will also be free hot dogs and boudain and drinks.
Groves Fire Department will host its annual Open House beginning at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the fire station, 6150 Short St.
Groves Assistant Fire Marshal Kelly Moore said the event will feature a demonstration of the Jaws of Life and guests can get a look at a firefighter repelling off the 75-foot ladder truck from Port Neches Fire Department.
Kids will get a chance to use a fire hose and check out Bridge City’s “smoke house.”
There will also be displays of fire fighting equipment and as well as a display from Acadian Ambulance. Nederland Fire Department will bring along its rescue truck and there will be other emergency vehicles for guests to check out.
Free popcorn and drinks will be available at the free event.
Each year the National Fire Protection Association picks a message for the annual event. This year’s message is prevent kitchen fires.
Fire facts, courtesy of the National Fire Protection Association:
• Cooking is the leading cause home fires and home fire injuries, followed heating equipment. Smoking is a leading cause of civilian home fire deaths.
• Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen.
• Unattended cooking was a factor in 34 percent of reported home cooking fires
• Ranges accounted for the 58 percent of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16 percent.