Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
- 1. CHAVEZ RETURNS TO VENEZUELA
The president announced his return on Twitter when he arrived early today after over two months of hospital treatment in Cuba.
- 2. TROUBLED COUNTRY SINGER’S SUICIDE
A month after her boyfriend killed himself, 37-year-old Mindy McCready was found dead in her Arkansas home of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
- 3. OBAMA’S IMMIGRATION BACKUP PLAN
The administration says it will only send its plan to Congress if lawmakers can’t reach a bipartisan solution.
- 4. CONSTRUCTION WORKERS KIDNAPPED IN NIGERIA
No one has claimed responsibility for abducting the seven, but the region has been under attack by a radical Islamic sect known as Boko Haram.
- 5. GOP OPPONENTS SAY HAGEL WILL GET A VOTE
Critics called the Defense Secretary nominee a “radical” but said an up-or-down vote should happen this week.
- 6. PISTORIUS PUTS AWAY HIS BLADES
The double-amputee cancels all races to concentrate on defending himself against murder charges.
- 7. WHY RUBIO’S WATER BREAK BECAME A BIG DEAL
AP Politics Editor Liz Sidoti says Americans are obsessed with trivial moments in politics, overshadowing important problems like the economy and gun control.
- 8. WHAT MAKER’S MARK WON’T CHANGE AFTER ALL
The bourbon distiller says public outcry has led it to reverse a decision to cut the alcohol level in its famous whiskey.
- 9. HOW CHANGING THE CHANNEL CAN MAKE KIDS BEHAVE
Researchers say switching from violent shows to educational TV made a difference for more than 500 families.
- 10. PATRICK MAKES NASCAR HISTORY
Her victory in the Daytona 500 pole was the first time a woman secured the top spot for any race in NASCAR’s premier circuit.