PAnews.com, Port Arthur, Texas

March 19, 2014

Fire rips through home in PN

Cody Edgerton
The Associated Press

PORT NECHES — A home in the 600 block of Neches Oak Boulevard in Port Neches has been destroyed and a family is left with little but the clothes on their backs.

The Port Neches Fire Department received a call about a fire at approximately 11:27 a.m. and immediately sent units, according to Port Neches Fire Chief and Emergency Management Coordinator Stepen L. Curran.

“Once on scene we found the house with flames showing,” Curran said, adding that preliminary interviews with witnesses indicate that the blaze may have begun in the garage.

The fire then traversed into the attic making it difficult  to access by responders.

Nederland, Groves and Port Arthur also responded to assist putting out the fire culminating in 25  to 30 total responders to the incident.

Homeowner Stephanie Cobb stood across the street watching as soot-laden water created a dark river across the white concrete walkway.

Saddened but not broken she told of receiving a phone call from her husband, Trent, saying their alarm system had reported a fire and contacted him asking if there were an emergency. She immediately headed back to her house to find it engulfed in flames.

She was relieved knowing that she had put her dogs in the backyard earlier that day and her three children were currently in school.

“We just lost material things, no loved ones or anything like that,” Cobb said, as a firefighter approached her with a blackened stuffed puppy. Gerald Finley, a Port Neches volunteer fireman, was attempting to locate her son’s stuffed puppy, Go Go, that he’d had since evacuating for a hurricane years ago when he was only two-years-old.

It was the experiences evacuating that led to her calm demeanor she said.

“The hurricanes prepare you that you might come home to nothing,” Cobb said, adding that they could stay with her sister until they decided what to do next.

Email: cedgerton@panews.com

Twitter: @cedgerton13