The Port Arthur News
Officials with the City of Groves are still seeking answers regarding the fate of Renaissance Hospital.
The hospital, located at 5500 39th St., abruptly shut its doors on April 26, 2013 when new owners came into the picture. The new owners also own St. Anthony’s Hospital in Houston.
Electricity and gas services to the facility were shut off sometime in October and the water was shut off in November. The City of Groves has since filed a lien against the property, City Manager D. Sosa said.
The city has also stepped up and made sure the grass was cut.
Sosa said he has tried to make contact with Jason Ledet, hospital administrator at St. Anthony’s and Renaissance, but has yet to speak to him.
“All we can do is make sure the grass is cut and place a lien on the property,” Sosa said. “We can secure the building.”
A number of former employees filed a class action suit against Ledet and the hospital in 2013 and Anesthesia Associates filed a suit in the 60th District Court.
J.L. Durant, assistant to the CEO, Jason Ledet, said “at this point the hospital is closed.”
Ledet was in the news earlier this week in Houston when, according to KTRK, the CEO of St. Anthony’s blamed a new Medicare payment contractor for payroll problems.
Those problems are reminiscent of problems that reportedly occurred at the Groves hospital in which, under prior ownership, employees either were paid late or not at all.
Even though the future of the Groves hospital is uncertain, Sosa is optimistic.
“It would make an excellent dormitory or assisted living center,” he said. “It could be used for purposes other than a hospital facility. We don’t want to see that facility stay vacant. That’s not good for the community, the neighborhood or the city.”