“300” Sequel gets a second chance for glory
“300: Rise of an Empire”
Warner Brothers Films
Directed by Noam Murrow
Starring Sullivan Stapleton, Eva Green, Lena Heady, Hans Matheson, Igal Naor, Andrew Plevin and Rodrigo Santo
2 ½ Stars
- Idina Menzel, ’Frozen’ heat up pop charts
’12 Years a Slave’ rises up at Academy Awards
Perhaps atoning for past sins, Hollywood named the brutal, unshrinking historical drama “12 Years a Slave” best picture at the 86th annual Academy Awards.
Steve McQueen’s slavery odyssey, based on Solomon Northup’s 1853 memoir, has been hailed as a landmark corrective to the movie industry’s virtual blindness to slavery, instead creating whiter tales like 1940 best-picture winner “Gone With the Wind.” “12 Years a Slave” is the first best-picture winner directed by a black filmmaker.
- “RoboCop” lacks spark of life
Shirley Temple, iconic child star, dies at 85
Shirley Temple, the dimpled, curly-haired child star who sang, danced, sobbed and grinned her way into the hearts of Depression-era moviegoers, has died, according to publicist Cheryl Kagan. She was 85.
- Olympic Viewing: Who’s reading lips?
'Lego Movie' snaps together for a lot of fun
“The Lego Movie”
Warner Brothers Pictures
Directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller
Starring Chris Pratt, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Will Ferrell, Morgan Freeman, Charlie Day, Alison Brie and Liam Neeson
- Cable merger future-proofs against Internet’s rise
- So many Grammy moments to keep you glued to tube
- NY Aquarium moves walrus to Texas during repairs
- More Entertainment Headlines
- “300” Sequel gets a second chance for glory